4.20.2010

Match Day

Scott with his parents and MillieMe and my favorite New Kid on the Block (how my hair did this I have no idea)
Ghostbusters and Karate Kid
Med School Halloween
Jersey Shore Girls
Pre Match Events
Scott opening his envelope, if I had taken a video you would see his hands shaking <3

Soooooo, I have good news. Scott got into his first choice for residency which is Indiana University in Indianapolis. He will move in June 4th, start orientation July 1st, and be there for 3 years. It's a great program for him because academics and sport medicine are two of their strength in which he is interested. It's great for me because when he interviewed there he found out that the wives love to cook and they have dinner parties and cookoffs. Also, the shift work is based on circadian rhythm so he won't be flip flopping from nights to days.

We're both really excited. I've decided that rather than worrying about when I'll join him in Indy or what to expect in the upcoming months, i'm embracing and enjoying the anticipation. I think I might look for a job with the parks and rec department with Leslie Knope or be Kendra and Hanks nanny.

I've included a few links to show how crazy match day was. Match day is when all med students across the country, after 4 months of interviewing, find out where they are going to be for residency. EVMS chooses a theme each year and everyone dresses up. Their name is called and they go on stage one by one to get an envelope with their match listed inside, but they can't open it until everyone has been called. Doctors definitely don't do anything half way either. The theme this year was "Characters Welcome" and I think Scott and his friends worked on theirs for a week straight. They did Ghostbusters, then changed into Top Gun, then changed into NKOTB- with a Mich choreographed routine ;-) The jersey shore girls did some serious and expensive tanning. You'll also see dodgeball, avatar, back to the future, Mr. T and a bunch of other cool costumes.

Here are some links for your enjoyment:

NBC Coverage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0w75iPAvEA) notice at the 26 second mark, Scotts friend Tyler gets nailed in the privates in the yellow dodgeball outfit. Also, at the end, the broadcaster says "I'm just glad that wasn't the OR"

ABC Coverage (http://www.wvec.com/video/featured-videos/Match-Day-at-EVMS-88404382.html) Go to where there's 1:23 second to go and you will see a very Top Gun volleyball-scene-esque Scott shirtless high-5ing . I couldn't be more proud :-)

US air, Airtran, and Southwest fly super cheap to Indianapolis ;-)